For those of you who follow us on Patreon, you probably know that we are working on a big project. We want to make fully handwoven, and mostly handspun kimono jackets. Our first project is coming along nicely and I've made quite some progress in the last week. I just love how the piece of fabric turned out, and can't wait to see the kimono coming together!
I've woven about 2,5m of 50 cm wide fabric now, which will make up for the whole back of the kimono. We could also have done 35 cm's per half, making the back 70 cms, but we quite liked the idea of the kimono falling very loose. This way it will be better wearable for multiple body types. Since we want our kimonos to be wearable for a very long time, it is usually a good thing to consider that peoples bodies change over the years. We want people to be able to enjoy their clothes for many years to come!
We've also been thinking about what fabric we are going to use for the inside. We decided to experiment with a very thin cruelty free, organic and fairtrade silk crepe, which we dyed naturally with madder. Now we have to figure out how we are going to sew everything together and if we are going to do some embroidery work on the jacket. I tried to embroider on my test piece, but it didn't turn out great. The yarn I used completely disappeared in the weaving. I might decide to embroider the name of the alpaca whose fleece I used on the inside of the jacket, since the silk will probably make a better background for embroidery.